Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Stashy, Scrappy & Done at Last!!


My little summer quilting project is finally finished! The challenge was to use fabrics already in our stash for the top of the quilt, meaning NO shopping allowed! The fabrics I used are scraps from other projects, a couple of fat quarters I had been hoarding, with a few sheets thrown into the mix. For the border I cut up a green gingham crib sheet we no longer use. I sewed 2 pieces of batting together which were donated to the cause from my mother in law. The backing is pink minkee (with a floral texture) that I purchased 9 months ago when I was pregnant, with the intention of making a baby blanket and I never got around to using it, until now. So all in all, this little quilt was very kind to my wallet.

Here it is before the quilting began...


The pattern is one I drew up on my note-pad one day. There weren't any regular blocks, which made the actual piecing a little bit tricky, but I was going for a scrappy look. Although it was a real pain at the time, I like the way it turned out.
I debated and debated on quilting methods. At one point I was just going to take it to the quilt shop and let the professionals do the job for me. Then I thought I would give machine quilting a try. Not as easy as it looks (but I am an amateur), especially with the minkee backing. There were a few puckers that weren't working for me so I did a lot of unpicking. At this point I resolved to quilt it with my own two hands. I had previously decided on 2 inches square, so I quilted (and quilted) until my house was a mess, and my fingers sore. I finished all of the rows going in one direction and was quilted out. I simply could not face hand quilting all of the rows going in the other direction. So, out of desperation I attempted quilting on the machine again. Because everything was already stitched in place I had no trouble with any puckering. Worked like a charm - both myself and my fingers were so happy! It's an unusual combination of hand and machine quilting, but hey, at least it's done!
Here is the end result...


Love the minkee back...so soft & warm!

Something out of nothing at all! THANKS to Eileen & Ulla for hosting this challenge. I have enjoyed seeing all of the beautiful stashy quilts. I think if I would have known how talented some of the other quilting gals were who participated in this challenge I would have been way too intimidated to sign up. So I am grateful for that ignorance, and my daughter is happy to have a new quilt!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutlely love the way your ' stashy'quilt turned out. I am prejudiced but feel I have about the most talented daughter ever!
It's fun to see different fabrics from your past projects and even the embroidered butterflies and dragonflies from Livie's baby quilts. Natalie, it is beautiful and quilting it in 2 inch squares turned out great! You are the best! Love, Mom

Rachel said...

That is adorable! I am so envious of your "domestic" skills. You should give lessons! :)

Ulla said...

Congratulations on finishing your quilt on time! It turned out very beautiful, the many colours go together so well. I admire your stamina with the quilting and the result looks great!
When we started the challenge, it was just about Eileen and me, I had no idea how many other, talented quilters would join us. It has been a good lesson to follow the progress of all these quilts. Will you send some pictures to our Flickr group as well?

Eileen said...

oooo.. this turned out really pretty. The minky on the back is so soft-looking, and I love how your little quilted squares just pop right up. Your piecing pattern does look very tricky.. beautiful!
Now you can get back to normal, and come back to blogland for a while.. :-)

angie said...

you are a domestic queen! so many things i learn about you from blog stalking! i love the quilt, it makes me want to go dig out the one i started years ago and put away out of frustration. maybe!

DollZandThingZ said...

How pretty your quilt is! So soft and lovely! Love photo on the blue chair, too. Great job on your quilt!

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow its lovely. And its great you got the hang of machine quilting. I'm telling you its all in the prep. I have a little tutorial on my blog about prepping using a spray but now I ordered a batting you iron on. I haven't used that yet. I love the lines. I love simple quilting. Good for you for hand quilting some of it. I hate that! I loved your comments on my blog. It is so funny you were right behind Sandi. Nadine is super nice at Material Girls. Tell her you have a blog next time you are in.

em's scrapbag said...

It's lovely. Way to go!

Di~ said...

I really like your quilt. The quilting is so neat too, with just straight lines. What kind of batting did you use?

Betsy said...

lovely.

Hideaway Girl said...

D-Spack:
I had to call my MIL to verify. The batting she gave me was a low weight bonded polyester batting.
I’m glad you liked it – all these nice comments have made my day!!

Anonymous said...

That is one of the most adorable quilts ever! I love the way quilting it in the 2 inch squares made it pop. It looks like a soft and cuddly quilt any girl would love. I also like the way little embroidered squares added cute personality to the over all look. You are quite the talented homemaker and congratulations on finishing in time!
Stephanie

Tricia said...

I have seen one other 2" square quilt. The lady that made it called it a postage stamp quilt. It took her months and sore fingers to finish. I love the colors in your quilt.

heidivee said...

LOVE the dresser. LOVE the quilt. LOVE the chair. They are all gorgeous. And just so you know, that was MY dresser as a kid. Seriously. So I am thinking you stole it and need to return it immediately!! (Leave it green, I like it much better that way!)

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Your quilt is beautiful! And your blog is too, have just strayed in and stayed to read all of it. Thanks so much!
Hugs
deb :)

mindy said...

Seriously?! and YOU felt intimidated? whatever. I can't even comprehend how much work that took.

The Masked Mommy said...

I love the soft colors in this quilt!