Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Union Jack

Hello. My name is Natalie....

And I am an Anglophile.

My fate was sealed years ago. I blame it on the kind of books I first read when I was young, and have loved ever since. You probably know the ones I'm talking about.

The United Kingdom Flag (Union Jack) is one of my favorites. I've been thinking about making a Union Jack quilt for a while, and it's still on my to-do-list, but this weekend I was craving a smaller scaled project. Thus, a Union Jack pillow was born.

Shabby Chic (Rachel Ashwell) used to sell a Union Jack pillow for an insane price. My version is a little more budget friendly - I used fabric from my stash (Rouenneries, Peace on Earth & coarse muslin) and covered a sofa pillow already on hand.


I won't lie, figuring out this pattern was nothing but trouble. See the pile of blocks I screwed up...

Just a bit frustrating. But in the end those rusty geometry skills came through for me.

I'm really falling for Jack. Hope my hubby doesn't mind.

8 comments:

Des said...

Love it Natalie!! Such an original idea!!

Brenda said...

Hi Natalie!
I love your pillow! The fabrics are great!
Have a great Monday!
love, Brenda

Cyndi said...

Wow! That's a great idea. I love Rachel Ashwell, but her prices are painfully high. I'm wondering if this pillow could be made with an applique technique, instead of a quilt?

Unknown said...

Very creative! I love the bar stools too! You should open up a shop.

MichelleB said...

I LOVE this! How big is it? Are you willing to share/sell your pattern?

Becki said...

That's beautiful Natalie! Do you also watch all of the great British shows? I am a secret Anglophile myself and most of my reading/television watching is British. They really know how to do a "gentler" crime show!! :o)

UKMUMINUSA said...

Natalie, love the colors and fabric choices you made. How did you make your UJ was it paper pieced? Did you ever get round to making a UJ quilt? Your flag looks like it is the right way round too. Sam Thanks for the comments on my blog

Lila Rostenberg said...

I love your pillow! I recently created my own British Flag pillows using ribbons. Your version is fabulous. I had seen those by Rachel Aswell, too! Now, My Hubby wants an
American flag pillow....and I found you through Google "images" of "American Flag Pillow".
Oh, and I just learned from a British friend of a friend, that the term "Union Jack" is only used when the flag is flying on a vessel...who knew?
I plan to link to your pillow projects from my blog...sometime in the next couple of days! [Hope you don't mind!]