Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vintage Inspired Bedroom Make-Over


My daughter just celebrated her 8th birthday. This year I wanted to do something extra special for her, so I came up with the idea of a surprise bedroom make-over. She has been wanting us to paint it a light blue for a while, and this seemed like the perfect way to get motivated.


On her birthday she went to school with her bedroom looking like this...


And came home to this...


I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it all done in the 7 1/2 hour time frame, but I had help. My mother in law watched my 2 youngest while I painted, and my mom picked up my daughter and oldest son after school and took them out for ice cream to give me a little more time.


Everything in the room is vintage, from the up-cycled furniture that I painted a while back, to the linens.


I based the decorating scheme around the vintage sheet quilt I first started last summer (my daughter fell in love with it at the time). I finally finished quilting and binding it the weekend before her birthday. The bed skirt was made from a green gingham vintage sheet.


We brought in the desk that we had used as a changing table in my youngest daughter's room. I found an old chair at the thrift store for $5 and painted it Green Apple and then reupholstered with a vintage sheet.


For wall art, thrifted embroidery hoops with the vintage sheet fabric used in the quilt.


Can you tell that this particular sheet is my favorite? last year, I found a pillowcase of this pattern at a thrift store and used it in the quilt. When recently I found a brand new (still in original package from the 60's or 70's) twin flat sheet on eBay, I was so excited!



I haven't yet made a sham, so for now her bed is adorned with never used before vintage pillow cases.


My talented mother-in-law crocheted this super sweet pillow for her after I fell in love with these on the Sew Mama Sew blog.



I still need to make curtain panels out of this sheet, just didn't quite get it all done it time.


The BIG REVEAL...


She LOVED it!


21 comments:

My Cozy Cubby said...

Groovy! Far out! Holy Vintage, you've been busy! Turned out awesome!

Des said...

oh, stinkin', man!!! Natalie! That is so beautiful! Funny, I did the exact "room makeover" for my daughter when she turned 8 (a few years ago), while she was at school. My husband even took the day off and we painted and redid.

Oh, i love those hoops with the fabric and your quilt turned out GORGEOUS!

Beth at Aunties said...

I adore her bright and cheerful room! I am glad you posted so I could see the look on her face when she got to see it!
You did a wonderful job! Those sheets bring back memories!!!

Groovy! Far Out! Right On! Way to Go! Super Cool is right on the nail!!!

Brenda said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A CUTE EIGHT YEAR OLD GIRL! It's great to see the look on her face!

How sweet! Great job! I love the desk--brings back memories.(I have one just like it!) I also love the colors! The vintage theme is super cool!

I did the same thing for my daughter while she was at school, except I surprised my daughter at Christmas time. I put up a Christmas tree in her room and filled the tree with new fairy ornaments along with a Christmas quilt. I also wrapped a few ornaments and put them under the tree for her to open.

Thank you for bringing back that memory!

Groovy! I agree with "Beth at Aunties" ;)

What a cool family!

Jamie said...

Fantastic job, Natalie! She is a lucky 8 year old.

Deb Robertson Writes said...

I so wish you were my mum! that is the coolest room ever, I want to sleep there! You did such an awesome job!

Amanda said...

What a lucky girl! That room turned out fantastic--too cute! Love all the vintage fabrics!

Unknown said...

Well done! Love all the creativity and thought you put into it. Such a super mom you are!

Nichole@40daysof said...

Really beautiful. I would have loved that when I was her age. What a nice mom!

Vintage Girl said...

Oh my...what beautiful room!! You did such a great job! I love the vintage fabrics that you used all over....I have an ever growing collection that I MUST do something with. I'd love that room for me....~smile~....Have a wonderful day! Heather

I {heart} Nap Time said...

oooh soo cute!! I'd love for you to link up to sundae scoop http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/04/sundae-scoop-2-link-party.html

Sew Can Do said...

I think I recognize the blue floral pillowcase from my parents room circa 1984. LOL. This turned out really cute - the colors are great!

Unknown said...

I love this! You did such a great job and I love the vintage sheets. Your quilt turned out great!!! Love it all!

~Liz

Evelyn said...

That's really beautiful! It looks like it should be a magazine spread. The quilt is just gorgeous.

Rhonda Sadler said...

It is true that parents will do anything just to make their kids happy. You actually did an amazing job with your daughter's room. The vibrant colors on the walls definitely brighten up the room. The smile on your daughter's face after seeing the room is just priceless. I remember last week, I brought home this nice piece of floor rug. It was supposed to be placed on the hardwood (Tampa) in the attic. But when my daughter saw it - she begged for the rug. I can't say NO to her. Besides, when she placed it on her (Lakeland) flooring, it was perfect. I've never seen my daughter so happy.

Natalie, thanks for the very inspiring post.

Joanna said...

I have been thinking about this room ever since you posted it and even bookmarked it. I showed my 9 year old girl and she fell in love with it! SO I am going to copy your idea and redo her bedroom on her birthday in November while she's at school. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Lora said...

so beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Love your vintage sheet quilts, both what you have done in your daughter's room and the one in your room.......

Ms Behnke said...

Do you happen to know what material the vintage pillowcases are made of? Are they real smooth and stay cool?

Amber said...

I love this soooo much! Do you make quilts or bedding to sell at all?

Em said...

Like the furniture.