Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm dreaming of a white farmhouse...

I have a problem. Actually, I think it is a genetic predisposition. I suffer from habitual house-hunter-itis (& I’m not talking about the show on HGTV). I am always looking at houses, and not just casually, I like to imagine myself living in them. I will email pictures of my latest find to my husband at work and haul the kids around in our minivan to look at them. It all started when I was a little girl and would spend hours flipping through my architect dad’s stacks of house plan magazines. Eventually I discovered model homes and all the fun of taking the tour. Now it has evolved into searching for real estate online, always looking for the bargain dream home that somehow has been overlooked and would be absolutely perfect. I don’t know why I do this, but I seriously think it has something to do with the fact that my parents were the same way – constantly talking about moving, my dad always drawing up house plans, and yet the big move eluded them until after we were all raised. These days, I’ll be driving somewhere with my kids and I’ll hear a little voice from behind me say, “Look at that pretty house, mom”. The next victims of this consuming disorder are in the back seat, and it is not too late to save them. It is finally time to kick this habit and break the cycle. I will always like looking at houses, but I don’t want to go through life constantly daydreaming about something better, when I already have something great. I like our home, and for now I know this is where we need to be. And then this delicious little bit of junk-mail arrives. If I could find a beauty house like this with the big front porch and wooded lot, we’d be outta here (I've got a major thing for white farmhouses with the big red barn out back)! You see, I’m hopeless. Sigh.

1 comment:

3 Docs and A Diva said...

I know a beautiful little valley outside Wellsville where your white house would fit perfectly.
The winters are cold though...